Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thank you

I have always thought that Thanksgiving is to holidays as Communism is to government: great in theory, not so successful in reality. A time to celebrate everything that we as a country and as individuals have to be thankful for. But Thanksgiving has been full of contradiction from day one: a feast for the life-saving Indians that we would later massacre and ship to the worst scraps of land that we can salvage. Nowadays it's not quite so dramatic, but still pretty corrupt. A day to be thankful that is dedicated to oversized air balloons, overpaid football players, and overeager early-bird madness. America in its glory. When I was assigned the task of writing about all that I have to be thankful for, I'll admit that I couldn't avoid an inward groan. But as I sat down to do this, I checked my email and notcied an old chain letter I received:

"One day a woman's husband died, and on that clear, cold morning, in the warmth of their bedroom, the wife was struck with the pain of learning that sometimes there isn't 'anymore'. No more hugs, no more special moments to celebrate together, no more phone calls just to chat, no more 'just one minute.' Sometimes, what we care about the most gets all used up and goes away, never to return before we can say good-bye, say "I love you." So while we have it, it is best we love it, care for it, fix it when it is broken and heal it when it is sick...Suppose one morning you never wake up, do all your friends and family know you love them?"

My life is certainly something to be grateful for, and I would like to thank everyone who has shaped it to be what it is.

My family. My mom for always coming down hard on me, for being demanding and pushy and telling me that nothing less than my best is acceptable. For encouraging me, letting me take it out on you sometimes, and telling me I'm a selfish brat when I need to hear it. My dad for telling me when it's ok to break the rules and giving me the independence that drives everyone crazy. For appreciating my humor and being the only one able to stand up to my stubbornness. My brother for taking my side, making me laugh, and sharing the backseat on family vacations.

My friends. The friend who knows me well enough to see the worst side of me and still not hate me-I'll never cease to be amazed by this. Thank you for making me laugh, letting me cry, and knowing whether I need white lies or brutal honesty. And also for letting me return these favors. The friend who never runs out of acceptance and tolerance, for teaching me generosity by splurging on ProductRed items that you hate. The friend who shows me how to lighten up, laugh, and appreciate a moment for what it is. The friend who lets me know it's ok to be girly and frivolous, and the another who will discuss books and politics over coffee. My friend who has shown me more strength than I can even fathom being able to muster. Friends who have betrayed me and taught me what I never want to be. Old friends who hug me like no time has past and new ones who are willing to overlook the fact that I'm practically a stranger.

Teachers who go well beyond the what's covered in textbooks and curriculums. For demanding insight before I could even comprehend the full meaning of the word. The teacher whose class spun my life around within a month of school. For encouraging me, driving me crazy, being repeatedly impressed, and not being afraid to tell me when if it really sucks.

Coworkers, employers, and customers for giving me lessons in the "real world." For teaching me to work hard and remember to smile and say please and thank you no matter what you receive in return. Strangers who run to return the change that I leave on the counter. The lunch lady who greets me with a smile everyday. The overseas family I never met who called long distance months later to say thanks for a simple favor, because it means that much. The old man next to me in church who has holes in his coat but puts more money than me in the collection tray.

All of these people have helped me in more ways then even I am aware of. I'm still weighed down with turkey and potatoes and I can hear my cousins' loud laughter ringing in my ears as the holiday winds down. It's a routine I have been through many times, and I hope that taking a moment to write down the appreciation that goes unvoiced each year will carry on in my personal tradition. So while I have the chance...Thank you.

No comments: